Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Rumblings of War...


Roylat: alright, what do we want sorted today?
Me: Before we get started, I believe the delegate from Kaliee wishes to say something.
Diamond: umm... I’m not ready for this I don’t wanna talk about it Sir!
Me: Go. On.
A good few minutes of goading and motivating until...

I'll let you hear it as I did! 



The shock and giddiness caused by this sudden announcement of course led a couple of children off topic, and made a few of them erupt into (quite evil sounding) laughter. I gently reminded the child in charge (Roylat) to keep her classmates in check. She decided to act on my advice by bellowing out

Roylat: PUT UP YIZZER HANDS IF YIZ NEED TA TALK!
(I love the word "yizzer". Fantastic stuff.)
Riane: Eh... I wanted to ask eh... Diamond why does she want war with eh... Terra Gaia?

Oooh! Such a hard hitting question! Why does she want war? Did Terra Gaia offend Kaliee? Is there two nations fighting over resources? Are Kaliee nobly defending the people of Terra Gaia from genicide? I'M ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT HERE!!!

Diamond: Uh, it wasn't my idea... It was Yesleks idea she uh...

I actually facepalmed straight away.

[General chatter of shock]
Roylat: Will yiz let her talk!
Diamond: Em...she had a bit of a problem with Marine and....
[Even more chatter!]
Roylat: Shh! Let Diamond talk!
Diamond: Ehm... Yeah, Yeslek had a problem with Marine. [Directly to Marine] I don't know why.
Roylat: If yiz don't have the ball, don't talk!
Hulk: I want to have the ball.
Roylat: Then put up your hand!
Diamon: Here.(Hands Hulk the ball)
Hulk: Right. Oooookaaaayyy.... I forget what I wanted to say. Oh yeah, I don't care what your reasons are, but why Terra Gaia? They're not strong, they're not rich... Whey not De'th? They're right beside you and have loads of magicite you can take... It doesn't make sense! So if youz [Kaliee] are going to declare war then youz [Terra Gaia] are going to have to run away!
Raine: [Ruler of the country De'th, whom Hulk just recommended Kaliee have a war against] Ehm, I think we should start working on the actual war.
Roylat: Okay, Ehm sir, can we make weapons?

There was yet another buzz of excitement, and I can't blame them. They're children, excitement is part of who they are. But this wasn't going in the direction I felt it had to. I steered the converstation back towards what it was meant to be about.

Me: Diamond, what did Terra Gaia do to you that you feel justifies declaring war.
Diamond: Yeslek said that she has some sort of problem with Marine.
Me: Okay... Could one of the delegates from Terra Gaia acutally say something? Girls, since war has been declared on you you've done nothing but laugh. In Bevelle, this is a really serious thing, people from and in your country are going to be killed if you can't stop this.
Eitak(From Terra Gaia): Okay... So Diamond, what is Yeslek's problem with Marine?
Diamond: Haven't got a clue.
Eibba: Then why did you agree to go to war?!
Diamond: Cause she was very angry and I thought she was going to kill me!
(Oh my! Sounds like we have a dictatorship forming!)
Naldo: Well then if she gets angry, you get angry too!
Riane: Well I think that if Marine and Yeslek have a problem they should sort it out themselves.
Roylat: So youz are having a war.. but why are yiz having a war?
Marine: I don't know they just want to fight me!
Roylat: Yeah but what did you do?

The children were a bit lost for thought here. I decided I needed to steer the conversation once more.

Me: Okay, show of hands here. If you understand and can clearly explain Kalliee's reasons for declaring war on Terra Gaia, raise your hand.
Hulk: Sir can I ask, where is Kalliee and Terra Gaia on the map?

Bit of a detour, but I felt it was an important one. Many of the children in my class are like me, a visual learner. I hopped over to the map and pointed out the two countries at war.

Hulk: But they're really far apart... it must be so awkward to get across those other countries and that ocean!

The children were really confused about Kalliee's motives, and to be perfectly honest, so was I! Diamond did say that it was Yeslek's idea, and it was because Marine did something that Yeslek didn't agree with, but seeing as Yeslek wasn't in we couldn't get much more out of her! This war talk was really exciting the kids and not only that, the kids were getting bored asking Diamond for her reason, and her reason not really being solid. So I decided to open up the conversation and ask...

Me: Right, what is the purpose of war?
Riane: The purpose of war is if someone stole from another... and then they start war...
Me: Okay so if one country steals from another, why do they do? Start a war, take back what was stolen and leave?
Riane:...No... coz they can't take it back.
Me: Okay, for example, Kaliee just declared war on Terra Gaia. What I want to know is, at what stage does Kaliee or Terra Gaia say to themselves "Yay we've won!" When does someone win a war?
Diamond: When everybody's killed?
Hulk: No it's after the other... after your opponent doesn't have any players left. When they have less players.
(This word players was slightly disturbing...)
Me: Less players?!
Hulk: No less people (PHEW!!)
Riane: No sir it's when... what do ya call it again? When you don't want to do it anymore... they stop they... SURRENDER!
Me: Right so war is when two countries...
All: Fight.
Me: ... until one country...
All: Surrenders.
Naural: Eh sir... can I speak now?

This is where things get very interesting!

Naural and Roylat run the nation of Candy Lab, and in the midst of this talk they decided to declare war on Tropical Land, one of the designated Superpowers! The reaction here was hilarious. "YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT!" and "You fools... you FOOLS!" being among the best quotes...

But then something happened that I really didn't expect... War just... ERUPTED. Candy Lab is fighting against Tropical Land, Davbie is taking on Siena, while the original war of Kaliee and Terra Gaia is still going on. Every country bar one is waging war...

So I decided to let them at it.

For homework, the children were given one simple task. They had to write a letter to the parents of fallen soldiers. I gave them this assignment with the hope they would really think about the horrors of war...

Meanwhile, as the children were moving furniture back after the lesson, Riane, the little swindler from before came up and whispered something to me.


Watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. You Fools! You Fools! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant. But are we missing a part at the start of the post?
    All I can see is:
    "A good few minutes of goading and motivating until...

    I'll let you hear it as I did!

    The shock and giddiness caused by this sudden announcement-"
    Is there something between those lines? Anyway, can't wait for next update.

    ReplyDelete